Whether you’re looking to buy a new home or want to keep the home you’re in, CHS professionals are ready to help. Our experienced housing counselors can help you prepare for the home-buying experience, improve your budgeting skills, advocate on your behalf with the County to prevent foreclosure, and much more. All at no cost to you.
If you need Housing Counseling, schedule an appointment today. The earlier you contact us, the easier it is to resolve any issues you may have.
We have an 80% success rate in helping families avoid foreclosure.
The CHS Housing Counseling program offers free assistance in these areas:
Buying a home for the first time can be both exciting and nerve-wracking. We can provide answers to important questions and help you prepare for the financial responsibilities of homeownership. We’ll cover things like:
- Home-buying terminology
- Common expenses (mortgage, interest, taxes, insurance, utilities, repairs, etc.)
- Budgeting and savings
- Financing and loan types
- Determining affordability
- Debt-to-income ratios
- Credit and ways to improve credit scores
If you’re facing foreclosure, our team can help you find a way to remain in your home. One of our financial experts will review your financial status and develop a plan toward long-term financial stability.
CHS housing counselors provide the following through individual counseling sessions:
- Review – A thorough analysis of your mortgage documents, family budgets, and credit reports
- Negotiation – What agreements can be made with your mortgage lender?
- Refinancing – Is working with another lender at a lower interest rate an option for you?
- Budget Counseling – We’ll discuss your income and expenses to help establish a long-term financial plan.
- Financial Assistance – Certain families may qualify for support to make their mortgages current.
- Utility Bill Assistance – Referrals to resources who can help with utility bills and other social services.
- Mediation – We can help you work through the Court of Common Pleas Mediation Program.
“I am a single mother of two and was about to lose my home because the bank was going to foreclose. The CHS counselor helped me with a budget, negotiated with my bank, and now I have a plan that works and a home for me and my kids.” Deborah, Maple Heights
Through education and counseling, we can help you take greater control of your financial future. CHS will ensure your family’s finances are not taken advantage of and you can increase savings. And show you how not to fall prey to financial scams or fraud.
Through both group sessions and individual counseling, we’ll go over the following topics:
- Budgeting and expenses
- Savings and debt reduction
- Credit reports and credit scores
- Maintaining financial records
- Long-term financial stability
Late on property tax payments? We can help. Our counselors will advocate on your behalf with the County Tax Department to determine what payment options may be available to you.
First, we’ll request that the County pulls or suspends any tax or foreclosure sales. Then, based on several factors like income and past-due amount, we will work to establish a payment plan that works for you – and the County.
“My house was about to be foreclosed on because I was struggling with all my bills as a mother of three children. CHS staff helped me develop a budget and negotiated a workout plan with my lender and utility companies. I am now current with my bills and my children and I can stay in our house. I don’t know what I would have done without your help.” Barbara, Cleveland
- Current photo ID
- Proof of income (most recent 30 days)
- Most recent mortgage statement (or rent bill if first time home buyer)
- Real estate tax bill (if not part of mortgage payment)
- Most recent two months bank statements (all pages)
- Previous two years of Federal Income Tax returns (including W-2s, 1099s, and all schedules)
- Copies of most recent utility, phone (including mobile), automobile, and credit card bills
* Additional documents may be required based on individual client needs and circumstances.