At CHS, we believe every home contributes to the strength of a neighborhood. That’s why we help care for homes by providing repair assistance to those in need, creating safe, healthy and well-maintained homes in our community.
We rely on a diverse pool of committed contractors to deliver custom solutions that ensure homes remain a financial asset to homeowners and empower seniors to continue living in their homes even if they can’t maintain their properties. This program is for qualified and income-eligible Cuyahoga County homeowners.
Our funding comes from city, county and state resources as well as private donations.
The CHS Home Repair program focuses on three areas of assistance:
Health & Safety
Our team coordinates the repair of critical systems and functions of a home (not aesthetic), including:
- Heating, electrical and plumbing upgrades
- Carpentry work – interior and exterior
- Security – doors, windows and locks
- Accessibility – ramp installation, kitchen/bath modification, and barrier removal for physically challenged
“I had no running water for two years because the plumbing didn’t work and had to borrow water from my neighbors. I had no money for a contractor. When I found CHS and you fixed all my plumbing, and now I have a house that is really a home.” Mary, East Side Suburb
Gutters & Downspouts
Functioning gutters and downspouts are important to protect your home’s foundation, prevent flooding and more. Our team can assist with:
- Gutter repair & replacement
- Downspout repair & replacement
Lead exposure presents serious health risks, especially in older homes. We work with the City of Cleveland to make homes safer through the remediation of lead. Learn more about Lead Safe Cleveland.
If you believe your home may contain lead paint, please call (216) 231-5815 immediately.
“I’m a low-income senior who had electrical problems all around my house. I had to run extension cords to any outlet that would work. CHS changed my panel box, made some wiring repairs, and gave me a couple new outlets! The change in my life is amazing.” Esther, Cleveland
- Must be resident of Cuyahoga County
- Must provide proof of income
- Property must be owner-occupied and not in foreclosure
- Owner must live in the home for at least one year
- Owner-occupied two-family properties are eligible for work done only in the owner-occupied unit, not the rental unit
- Property taxes must be current or in an approved payment plan with the Cuyahoga County Treasurer